We moved to a new site – head over to www.SharkArmStudios.com and check us out!
Here is some new art from caliber:
Apparently the main character is a lot smaller than I originally thought if he can fit like that on the back of a turtle.
The level editor is finished (for now). Still planning on adding some stuff in later though.
Back to working on the real game now, finally.
We Are Currently Looking For A Composer/ Musician to Compose Music For The Game. If you are one of those and you think your music may match the game well, please contact us.
Brand Spanking new graphics right out of the oven for you…..
HCR is finishing up the level editor. As soon as that is complete our progress on the game should speed up. Stay tuned for more sneak peaks at artwork and possibly some video!
So instead of doing multiple small games we decided to do a medium sized game that hopefully will not take that long to make (if it doesn’t become bigger than expected). I finished my OpenGL engine and it’s working a lot better than the old one, so far. We probably should have still went with the small game practice stuff, but we were excited to get this new project moving along. We don’t have a name for it yet so I’m just calling it Chainsaw at the moment (it doesn’t have anything to do with chainsaws, I just make up random names when creating a new project.)
The new game is an exploration platformer type game where you are a guy on an island who has animal companions to help him. You cannot attack enemies directly, but you can attack by using your animal companions. This will hopefully make the game a bit different from other platformers like it.
The story is still a work in progress, but it starts out with the main character, Jack, and his dog riding in an air balloon. The dog jumps after a bird or something and falls to the island, and so Jack lands his balloon there. You then have to rescue your dog and then can choose to leave the island or follow a different path by helping out the creatures you found on the island. We want the story to change a little bit depending on the player’s actions.
Development has been moving very quickly, Caliber has a lot of the art done and the coding is well underway. I rewrote another platforming engine once again, and I’m really happy with it so far. Everytime I rewrite it, it gets a lot better. There are no slopes this time but I have already implemented movable blocks, which I had never done before. I also have been practicing better code organization which has helped speed up the coding process (most of my problems came from lack of organization!)
I’m currently working on the AI for the first companion you get, your dog. He follows right behind you and does a basic bite attack where he jumps through the player and attacks the enemy in front of him, so the following has to be almost perfect for it to work. I am almost done with the dog’s AI and am very happy with how it is turning out (I’m pretty sure I got it close to how a real dog would act in that kind of situation.)
We will be working hard on this in the next couple of days and will try to keep the blog updated. We are also looking for someone to join up with us and write music for the game (you can help with the designing of the game also if you want!) , so please leave us a comment or send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to be part of this game.
With the complete code rewrite of the game I decided to switch over to using openGL instead of directX and along with that I’m writing a brand new 2D Game Engine. I’m pretty much done with all the basics: displaying images on the screen, sprite functions, keyboard control, etc. and I’m about ready to start making a game with it (most of my engine development comes along during the actual building of the game.) Caliber9 and I have decided that before starting to work on Torpedo again we want to make a series of short games with a restricted time limit, mainly for practice. We were thinking about working on each game for a week, trying to come up with a new idea for each one, and then ending the project whether it is finished or not. This will be used for practice as well as testing a variety of our ideas in prototype form.
The reason I haven’t updated our devlog for a while is because I haven’t really been doing anything interesting with the game. I have been going through trying to fix all sorts of bugs and memory leaks that I found. And then I kept finding more and more and I realized that the whole framework of the code wasn’t as good as it needs to be. Since I used the original code from Bravehorse it was not set up for a project as large as the one we are trying to make. So I figured the best thing to do in the long run would be a total rewrite of the game. I will however use the sections of the code that I still think are good so it will go a lot faster than before (I hope).
I have finished up most of the tile editing portion of the level editor. All that remains for that now is to allow the user to add in enemies, powerups, and triggers. There will also be a background editor but I haven’t decide if exactly how it is going to work. Lately I have been going through code cleaning it up and fixing glitches. I also found a number of memory leaks that I was able to fix, but I’m still working on one really annoying one that occurs when loading a level. I also had to go back to the annoying platforming code to fix up the slants on the top which I found some glitches in. That required a lot more work than I would have liked and its not even completely how I would like it, but its good enough for now. I’m going to be adding in some more fun things like the cool enemies caliber9 drew that are waiting to have life breathed in to so that the player can take their life away with Bravehorse’s sword. Currently working on the AI for the bug monster which will be seen in the cave beneath the smog tower.